Re: Latency between datacenters

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Marcus Furlong <furlongm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 9 February 2017 at 09:34, Trey Palmer <trey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The multisite configuration available starting in Jewel sound more
> appropriate for your situation.
>
> But then you need two separate clusters, each large enough to contain all of
> your objects.

On that note, is anyone aware of documentation that details the
differences between federated gateway and multisite? And where each
would be most appropriate?

They are similar, but mostly reworked and simplified in the case of multisite. A multisite configuration allows writes to non-master zones.

Regards,
Marcus.
--
Marcus Furlong

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Daniel Picolli Biazus
<picollib@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have been planning to deploy a Ceph Cluster with the following hardware:
>
> OSDs:
>
> 4 Servers Xeon D 1520 / 32 GB RAM / 5 x 6TB SAS 2 (6 OSD daemon per server)
>
> Monitor/Rados Gateways
>
> 5 Servers Xeon D 1520 32 GB RAM / 2 x 1TB SAS 2 (5 MON daemon/ 4 rados
> daemon)
>
> Usage: Object Storage only
>
>     However I need to deploy 2 OSD and 3 MON Servers in Miami datacenter and
> another 2 OSD and 2 MON Servers in Montreal Datacenter. The latency between
> these datacenters is 50 milliseconds.
>    Considering this scenario, should I use Federated Gateways or should I
> use a single Cluster ?

There's nothing stopping you from separating the datacenters with CRUSH root definitions to have one zone serving from the pools existing solely in one Datacenter, and another zone servicing the other. That way the transfer of data and metadata will occur at the RadosGW level (more latency-tolerant than rados. this is what it was designed to do), while still being managed at one point.

It's worth testing both configurations, as well as the effects of latency on your monitors. In some cases I'd consider trying to source another MON and running two separate clusters, but simply put, YMMV.

--
Brian Andrus | Cloud Systems Engineer | DreamHost
brian.andrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx | www.dreamhost.com