Re: virt-install into rbd hangs during Anaconda package installation

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 9:13 PM, Tracy Reed <treed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 10:57:38AM PST, Shinobu Kinjo spake thusly:
>> If you would be able to reproduce the issue intentionally under
>> particular condition which I have no idea about at the moment, it
>> would be helpful.
>
> The issue is very reproduceable. It hangs every time. Any install I do
> with virt-install causes a hang at some point during the install. I have
> reproduces it 3 times this morning already.
>
>> There were some MLs previously regarding to *similar* issue.
>>
>>  # google "libvirt rbd issue"
>
> I found:
>
> http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2015-September/004179.html
>
> which suggested file descriptors as the problem. That's good to know for
> when my cluster gets bigger but I have only 70 OSDs and the number of
> fds used did not exceed 90 when the soft limit is 1024.
>
> My problem also manifests itself a little differently than described in
> that post. I can dd large machine images into rbd all day long with no
> problems. In fact I am considering bypassing anaconda kickstart installs
> for the moment and just copying the machine image which gets
> successfully installed occasionally but this is not our normal
> deployment workflow so is not ideal. Plus I'm still concerned there is
> an actual underlying problem or something I am not understanding which
> may bite us later.
>
> That post also mentions jumbo frames. We have jumbo frames enabled
> everywhere. We did have a problem months ago with getting ceph up and
> running initially because we forgot to tell the switch to use jumbo
> frames and learned our lesson on that.
>
> Not sure what else I can look at. I'm not seeing any clues.

What kernel are you running on the host?

Can you write to /dev/rbd device after you kill the VM?

When it hangs, can you capture the output of

$ cat /sys/kernel/debug/ceph/<fsid>.client<id>/osdc

Try watching that with "watch", see if it makes any progress.

Thanks,

                Ilya