Re: Ceph monitoring

Hi,

On 01/30/2017 12:18 PM, Matthew Vernon wrote:

> On 28/01/17 23:43, Marc Roos wrote:
>
>> Is there a doc that describes all the parameters that are published by
>> collectd-ceph?
>
> The best I've found is the Redhat documentation of the performance
> counters (which are what collectd-ceph is querying):
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-ceph-storage/1.3/paged/administration-guide/chapter-9-performance-counters

First off, which collectd-ceph plugin are we talking about here?

There seem to be several different implementations:

https://github.com/ceph/collectd (full collectd fork, outdated?)
https://github.com/ceph/collectd-4.10.1 (dito, outdated?)
https://github.com/Crapworks/collectd-ceph (uses "perf dump", but might
be outdated, too)
https://github.com/inkscope/collectd-ceph (which is a fork of a fork of
https://github.com/rochaporto/collectd-ceph)

According to the documentation mentioned above, these performance
metrics can only be obtained via the "ceph daemon <node> perf schema"
command on the respective node.

The inkscope/collectd-ceph plugin (and its ancestors) seem to be
designed to be installed on any node with librados access to the cluster
and use the usual commands like "ceph osd dump" or "ceph osd pool stats"
to gather information about the cluster.

However, this does seems to provide less datails than what could be
obtained via the "perf schema" statements which are utilized by the
Crapworks/collectd plugin and the plugin included in the ceph/collectd fork.

This is a tad bit messy. IMHO, it would be nice if there was one set of
collectd plugins for Ceph that would both support collecting cluster
stats via librados from any node, as well as a plugin that could be
deployed on the Ceph nodes directly, to obtain additional information
that can only be queried locally.

Lenz