Re: mon.mon01 store is getting too big! 18119 MB >= 15360 MB -- 94% avail

On 01/31/2017 03:35 PM, David Turner wrote:
If you do have a large enough drive on all of your mons (and always
intend to do so) you can increase the mon store warning threshold in the
config file so that it no longer warns at 15360 MB.

And if you so decide to go that route, please be aware that the monitors are known to misbehave if their store grows too much.

Those warnings have been put in place to let the admin know that action may be needed, hopefully in time to avoid abhorrent behaviour.

  -Joao

From: ceph-users [ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Wido
den Hollander [wido@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 2:35 AM
To: Martin Palma; CEPH list
Subject: Re:  mon.mon01 store is getting too big! 18119 MB
= 15360 MB -- 94% avail

Op 31 januari 2017 om 10:22 schreef Martin Palma <martin@xxxxxxxx>:

Hi all,

our cluster is currently performing a big expansion and is in recovery
mode (we doubled in size and osd# from 600 TB to 1,2 TB).

Yes, that is to be expected. When not all PGs are active+clean the MONs
will not trim their datastore.

Now we get the following message from our monitor nodes:

mon.mon01 store is getting too big! 18119 MB >= 15360 MB -- 94% avail

Reading [0] it says that it is normal in a state of active data
rebalance and after it is finished it will be compacted.

Should we wait until the recovery is finished or should we perform
"ceph tell mon.{id} compact" now during recovery?

Mainly wait and make sure there is enough disk space. You can try a
compact, but that can take the mon offline temp.

Just make sure you have enough diskspace :)

Wido

Best,
Martin

[0] https://access.redhat.com/solutions/1982273