Re: MDS flapping: how to increase MDS timeouts?

Hi,

On 01/26/2017 03:34 PM, John Spray wrote:
On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 8:18 AM, Burkhard Linke
<Burkhard.Linke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
HI,

we are running two MDS servers in active/standby-replay setup. Recently we
had to disconnect active MDS server, and failover to standby works as
expected.

The filesystem currently contains over 5 million files, so reading all the
metadata information from the data pool took too long, since the information
was not available on the OSD page caches. The MDS was timed out by the mons,
and a failover switch to the former active MDS (which was available as
standby again) happened. This MDS in turn had to read the metadata, again
running into a timeout, failover, etc. I resolved the situation by disabling
one of the MDS, which kept the mons from failing the now solely available
MDS.
The MDS does not re-read every inode on startup -- rather, it replays
its journal (the overall number of files in your system does not
factor into this).

So given a large filesystem, how do I prevent failover flapping between MDS
instances that are in the rejoin state and reading the inode information?
The monitor's decision to fail an unresponsive MDS is based on the MDS
not sending a beacon to the mon -- there is no limit on how long an
MDS is allowed to stay in a given state (such as rejoin).

So there are two things to investigate here:
  * Why is the MDS taking so long to start?
  * Why is the MDS failing to send beacons to the monitor while it is
in whatever process that is taking it so long?

Under normal operation our system has about 4.5-4.9 million active caps. Most of them (~ 4 millions) are associated to the machine running the nightly backups.

I assume that during the rejoin phase, the MDS is renewing the clients' caps. We see massive amount of small I/O on the data pool (up to 30.000-40.000 IOPS) during the rejoin phase. Does the MDS need to access the inode information to renew a cap? This would explain the high number of IOPS and why the rejoin phase can take up to 20 minutes.

Not sure about the second question, since the IOPS should not prevent beacons from reaching the monitors. We will have to move the MDS servers to different racks during this week. I'll try to bump up the debug level before.

Regards,
Burkhard