Re: Suddenly having slow writes

On 01/24/2017 07:26 PM, Mark Nelson wrote:

> My first thought is that PGs are splitting.  You only appear to have
> 168PGs for 9 OSDs, that's not nearly enough.  Beyond the poor data
> distribution and associated performance imbalance, your PGs will split
> very quickly since by default PGs start splitting at 320 Objects each.
> Typically this is less of a problem with RBD since by default it uses
> 4MB objects (and thus there are fewer bigger objects), but with only
> 168 PGs you are likely to be heavily splitting by the time you hit
> ~218GB of data (make sure to take replication into account).
>
> Normally PG splitting shouldn't be terribly expensive since it's
> basically just reading a directory xattr, readdir on a small
> directory, then a bunch of link/unlink operations.  When SELinux is
> enable it appears that link/unlink might require an xattr read on each
> object/file to determine if the link/unlink can happen.  That's a ton
> of extra seek overhead.  On spinning disks this is especially bad with
> XFS since subdirs may not be in the same AG as a parent dir, so after
> subsequent splits, the directories become fragmented and those reads
> happen all over the disk (not as much of a problem with SSDs though).
>
> Anyway, that's my guess as to what's going on, but it could be
> something else.  blktrace and/or xfs's kernel debugging stuff would
> probably lend some supporting evidence if this is what's going on.
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,

You're right, it seems that was the problem. I set more pg_num & pgp_num
to every pool and no more blocked requests ! (after few days of
backfillings)

Maybe monitors should set a warning in Ceph status when this situation
occurs, no ? It already exists "too few PGs per OSD" warning, but I
never hit it in my cluster.

Thank you a lot Mark !