From: ceph-users [ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Alex Evonosky [alex.evonosky@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 25 January 2017 07:00
To: Jorge Garcia
Cc: Users, Ceph
Subject: Re:  Replacing an mds server

just my own experience on this---

I have two MDS servers running (since I run cephFS).  I have the config dictating both MDS servers in the ceph.conf file.

When I issue a "ceph -s"  I see the following:

 1/1/1 up {0=alpha=up:active}, 1 up:standby

I have shut one MDS server down (current active) and the alternate server becomes active.

This is just an FYI, but others may have a better answer...