Re: All SSD cluster performance

Hi Kees,

Assuming 3 replicas and collocated journal each RBD write will trigger 6 SSD writes (excluding FS overhead and occasional re-balance).
Intel has 4 tiers of Data center SATA SSD (other manufacturers may have fewer):
- S31xx: ~0.1 DWPD (counted on 3 years): Very read intensive
- S35xx: ~1 DWPD: Read intensive
- S36xx: ~3 DWPD: Mixed workloads
- S37xx: ~10 DWPD: Write intensive
(DWPD = Disk write per day)

For example a cluster of 90* 960GB S3520 has an write endurance of 26.25 PB, so around 14 TB/day.
IMO the S3610 (maybe soon the S3620 :D) is a good enough middle of the road option if you don’t know the write volume of the RBD backed VMs. Then after a few months in production you can use the SMART data and re-evaluate.
I cannot highlight enough how important it is to monitor the SSD wear level.

Cheers,
Maxime