Use of Spectrum Protect journal based backups for XFS filesystems in mapped RBDs?

Hi

I know this isn’t the obvious choice to ask this, but nonetheless:

Has anyone had any experience with running IBM Spectrum Protect (or Tivoli Storage Manager as it was previously know as) BA client backups of filesystems created inside RBDs using TSMs Journal-based backup features[1][2]?

The RBDs are mapped onto a client and have XFS filesystems inside them, which in turn is served to other clients via NFS.

We currently have 27 RBDs that contain a mix of files totaling 49+ mio files and the time spent running through the filesystems are ever increasing.

TSM JBB is based on “filepath kernel extension” that I’m unable to find any useful information about (other than the C source thats GPL’ed and comes with the BA client).

It seems to hook itself into various VFS operations in the kernel and “do its stuff”, but I’m not fluent enough in C++ to fully understand or comprehend if it’s usable with filesystems in mapped RBDs..

Regards,

Jens Dueholm Christensen
Rambøll Survey IT

[1] = TSM Journal Based Backup FAQ: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21681523