Re: Analysing ceph performance with SSD journal, 10gbe NIC and 2 replicas -Hammer release

From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of kevin parrikar
Sent: 07 January 2017 13:11
To: Lionel Bouton <lionel-subscription@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] Analysing ceph performance with SSD journal, 10gbe NIC and 2 replicas -Hammer release

Thanks for your valuable input.
We were using these SSD in our NAS box(synology)  and it was giving 13k iops for our fileserver in raid1.We had a few spare disks which we added to our ceph nodes hoping that it will give good performance same as that of NAS box.(i am not comparing NAS with ceph ,just the reason why we decided to use these SSD)

We dont have S3520 or S3610 at the moment but can order one of these to see how it performs in ceph .We have 4xS3500  80Gb handy.
If i create a 2 node cluster with 2xS3500 each and with replica of 2,do you think it can deliver 24MB/s of 4k writes .
We bought S3500 because last time when we tried ceph, people were suggesting this model :) :)

Thanks alot for your help

Was is your application/use case for Ceph? 24MB/s of 4k writes will be quite a hard number to hit at lower queue depths. I saw your benchmark in your other post showing you were testing at a queue depth of 32, is this representative of your real life workload?

Hi,