Re: Cluster pause - possible consequences

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 6:46 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Op 2 januari 2017 om 15:43 schreef Matteo Dacrema <mdacrema@xxxxxxxx>:
>

> Increasing pg_num will lead to several slow requests and cluster freeze, but  due to creating pgs operation , for what I’ve seen until now.
> During the creation period all the request are frozen , and the creation period take a lot of time even for 128 pgs.
>
> I’ve observed that during creation period most of the OSD goes at 100% of their performance capacity. I think that without operation running in the cluster I’ll be able to upgrade pg_num quickly without causing down time several times.

First, slowly increase pg_num to the number you want, then increase pgp_num in small baby steps as well.

Wido

As Wido mentioned, low+slow is the way to go for production environments. increase in small increments.

pg_num increases should be fairly transparent to client IO, but test first by increasing your pool in increasing amounts. pgp_num increase will cause client interruption in a lot of cases, so this is what you'll need to be wary of.

Here's some select logic from a quick and dirty script I wrote to do the last PG increase job, maybe it will help in your endeavors:

> Matteo
>
> > Il giorno 02 gen 2017, alle ore 15:02, ceph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ha scritto:
> >
> > Well, as the doc said:
> >> Set or clear the pause flags in the OSD map. If set, no IO requests will be sent to any OSD. Clearing the flags via unpause results in resending pending requests.
> > If you do that on a production cluster, that means your cluster will no
> > longer be in production :)
> >
> > Depending on your needs, but ..
> > Maybe you want do this operation as fast as possible
> > Or maybe you want to make that operation as transparent as possible,
> > from a user point of view
> >
> > You may have a look at osd_recovery_op_priority &
> > osd_client_op_priority, they might be interesting for you
> >
> > On 02/01/2017 14:37, Matteo Dacrema wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> what happen if I set pause flag on a production cluster?
> >> I mean, will all the request remain pending/waiting or all the volumes attached to the VMs will become read-only?
> >>
> >> I need to quickly upgrade placement group number from 3072 to 8192 or better to 165336 and I think doing it without client operations will be much faster.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Regards
> >> Matteo

> > --
> > Questo messaggio e' stato analizzato con Libra ESVA ed e' risultato non infetto.
> > Seguire il link qui sotto per segnalarlo come spam:
> > http://mx01.enter.it/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=9F3C956B85.A333A

Brian Andrus
Cloud Systems Engineer
DreamHost, LLC