Re: performance with/without dmcrypt OSD

Thank you Nick. To summarize - dmcrypt doesn't add notable performance impact on the ceph cluster.

Thanks
Swami

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Nick Fisk <nick@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@lists.ceph.com] On Behalf Of Kent Borg
Sent: 03 January 2017 12:47
To: M Ranga Swami Reddy <swamireddy@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ceph-users <ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: performance with/without dmcrypt OSD

On 01/03/2017 06:42 AM, M Ranga Swami Reddy wrote:

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 6:17 AM, Kent Borg <kentborg@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Assuming I am understanding the question...

If there isn't too big a performance hit, it makes disk disposal (we expect disks to die, right?) much simpler.

OK. Thanks. But if I have a big volumes in TB size (10 TB volume)  and writing/reading from the big volumes - will impact on performance like write and read speed?

I'd like to know, too.

-kb

Not specifically related to Ceph, but I built a 14 disk RAID 6 array (mdadm) for a recent “secure high performance seeding device in a briefcase” project and used dmcrypt on it. I could easily obtain over 1GB/s reads and writes. From tests there was no noticeable performance impact and CPU usage on a Xeon E3 was nothing to be concerned about. All modern CPU’s will HW accelerate the process if you use the AES-XTS cipher, I suspect there might be a severe performance impact without.

Also as Ceph+network itself brings a fair amount of overhead, I wouldn’t suspect that dmcrypt would introduce any noticeable overhead of its own.