Re: ceph program uses lots of memory

I did some investigation and tracked the high usage down to librados.  I
don't think Python has anything to do with it.

I also noticed that the memory usage was really unpredictable.  Sometimes
I could do a whole 'ceph -s' with only 256M; most of the time I couldn't,
but the program crashed in various points along the way.

I was going to instrument librados and try to track it further, but I found
that Ceph is too complex and resource-consuming for me to build.  I wonder
if there is a way to build just librados without downloading and building
3 GiB of source code.

I hadn't thought before about starting the 'ceph' shell and looking at the
process as it's waiting for a command, but I just did, and see the virtual
memory size does vary a lot from one invocation to the next.  Strange.  Makes
one think there's some kind of race or use of an unset variable.

So I looked at the memory map (/proc/PID/maps) and see in one run (where I got
lucky and it fit in my 256M limit) 165 vmareas occupying 226 MiB (compared to
49 and 25 MiB for a Python shell).  I'll look closer and see if there are some
particulary large ones and what varies from one invocation to the next.

>Is there a reason you're worried about the address space but not the
>actual RAM used?

Yes.  The way I prevent programs from destroying my system with excessive real
memory usage or paging, either by accident or by my ignorance, is by running
with address space rlimits.  It's the best I can do; there is no real memory
or paging rate rlimit.  As it stands, any normal shell on my systems has an
address space limit of 256M, which has never been a problem before, but is
majorly inconvenient now.

--
Bryan Henderson                                   San Jose, California