Re: cephfs (fuse and Kernal) HA

On 3 January 2017 at 10:42, Kent Borg <kentborg@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can you say more about pool snapshot speed? Slow to make snapshot? Slow to
> access snapshot? Slow to delete a snapshot? Slow to access original? Slow to
> modify original? (Slow to modify at first or slow continually?)

This is live snapshots with qemu/rbd (using proxmox), so as well as
the image snasphsot there is a raw image created containing the VM
state. My testing has been with small 3 node clusters, so they weren't
particularly fast.

- Taking snapshots is ok

- Restoring snapshots is very slow, usually half an hour plus, sometimes hours.

- Deletion is equally slow.

OTOH, qcow2 snasphots over cephfs, gluster, lizard etc only take a
couple of minutes.

> What are circumstances where pool snapshots are appropriate?

Not familiar with them

>Is there a way
> to speed them up?

Would live to know :)