Re: mds reconnect timeout

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 8:23 AM, Xusangdi <xu.sangdi@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> In our environment we want to deploy MDS and cephfs client on the same node (users actually use cifs/nfs to access ceph storage). However,
> it takes a long time to recover if the node with active MDS fails, during which a large part is for the new MDS waiting for all clients reconnect.
> The `mds_reconnect_timeout` is set to 45s by default, but in our experiment cluster, the reconnection with normal client is usually quite fast (<100ms),
> so imho we might configure it to a much smaller value like 5, but I’m not sure if that would be safe. Any suggestions? Is there any concern I missed
> that inspires to such a large default value?

If a client doesn't reconnect within the timeout, then it will be
evicted (and any buffered writes it had might be lost).  Evicting
clients is kind of a big deal, so we only want to do it if we're
really sure they're dead, hence this being quite a long timeout.

However, if you know that a client is really gone and you don't want
to wait for it, then you can use the "session evict" admin socket
command to evict the client immediately when the MDS goes into the
reconnect state, and avoid waiting.

John