Re: Ceph QoS user stories

Hi Sage,

 The primary QoS issue we see with OpenStack users is wanting to
guarantee minimum IOPS to each Cinder-mounted RBD volume as a way to
guarantee the health of well-mannered workloads against badly-behaving
ones.

 As an OpenStack Administrator, I want to guarantee a minimum number
of IOPS to each Cinder volume to prevent any tenant from interfering
with another.

  The number of IOPS may vary per volume, but in many cases a
"standard" and "high" number would probably suffice. The guarantee is
more important than the granularity.

  This is something impacting users at today's Ceph performance level.

  Looking at the future, once Bluestore becomes the default,  there
will also be latency requirements from the crowd that wants to run
databases with RBD backends — both low latency and low jitter in the
latency, but rather than applying that to all volumes, it will be only
to select ones backing RDBMs. Well, at least in the case of a general
purpose cluster.

 My hunch is that Enterprise users that want hard-QoS guarantees will
accept that a capacity planning exercise is necessary, software can
only allocate existing capacity, not create more. Community users may
value more some "fairness" in distributing existing resources instead.
Just a hunch at this point.

 Best -F

-- "You must try until your brain hurts —Elon Musk
(Federico L. Lucifredi) - federico at redhat.com - GnuPG 0x4A73884C