Re: renaming ceph server names

I did something like this the other day on a test cluster... can't guarantee the same results, but it worked for me. I don't see an official procedure documented anywhere. I didn't have mds or radosgw. (I also renamed the cluster at the same time... I omitted those steps)

assuming services are stopped, and assuming your cluster is named "ceph" (the default):

things to change:
    /etc/ceph/ceph.conf (deploy everywhere)
        change hostnames here
    rename dirs (repeat on each mon)
        /var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-oldhostname -> /var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-newhostname
        also check mds, etc.
    monmap (mon nodes)
        # first section on just one mon
        # here newhostname matches the dir name /var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-newhostname
        ceph-mon --cluster ceph -i oldhostname --extract-monmap /tmp/monmap
        monmaptool --print /tmp/monmap

        # repeat for each
        monmaptool --rm oldname1 /tmp/monmap

        # repeat for each
        monmaptool --add newname1 ipgoeshere:6789 /tmp/monmap

        monmaptool --print /tmp/monmap

        # last section on the other mons (using the file produced on the first)
        # repeat on each monitor node
        ceph-mon --cluster newname -i newhostname --inject-monmap /tmp/monmap

In theory something should be done about renaming the auth keys ...
    ceph auth ......

but I didn't do that, and don't see any auth keys..mine has some bootstrap ones. I don't know if that's standard or not.
If you had to do that, maybe copying them first, then removing after is best. Or run the cluster with cephx disabled temporarily to fix it.

Then start mons only

This is if you renamed some osd host names, and requires running mons:
    # output to compare to later
    ceph osd tree

    # I didn't do this step...but I think this ought to be right
    ceph osd crush rename-bucket oldname newname

    #verify it looks right now
    ceph osd tree

    # if it looks wrong, like let's say now you have extra hosts leftover (which might happen if you start osds before renaming)... use rename-bucket or rm
    # ceph osd crush rm "oldname"

Then start osds.

If you have mds servers you renamed, there's auth for that...rename those clients probably. That means the /var/lib/ceph/mds/... dirs, and maybe the client name inside the keyring there. I don't know this step.
And no idea about radosgw.

Test on a test cluster first. And I have no idea if it will result in data movement. You may want to prepare by `ceph osd set norecover`, and set maxbackfills, etc. too.