Regarding loss of heartbeats

Since Jewel, we've seen quite a bit of funky behaviour in Ceph.  I've written about it a few times to the mailing list.

Higher CPU utilization after the upgrade / Loss of heartbeats.  We've looked at our network setup, and we've optimized some potential bottlenecks some places.

Interesting thing regarding loss of heartbeats.  We have observed OSDs running on the same host losing heartbeats against eachother.  I'm not sure why they are connected at all (we have had some remapped/degraded placement groups over the weekend, maybe that's why) - but I have a hard time pointing the finger at our network when the heartbeat is lost between two osds on the same server.

I've been staring myself blind at this problem for a while, and just now noticed a pretty new bug report that I want to believe is related to what I am experiencing: http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/18042

We had one OSD hit a suicide timeout value and kill itself off last night, and one can see that several of these heartbeats are between osds on the same node.  (zgrep '10.22.9.21.*10.22.9.21' ceph-osd.2.gz)

http://employee.tv.situla.bitbit.net/ceph-osd.2.gz

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?  Are we stumbling on a known, or unknown bug in Ceph?

Regards
--
Trygve Vea