Re: general ceph cluster design

Hi Maxime,
thank you for the information given. We will have a look and check.

Cheers
Nick

On Friday, November 25, 2016 09:48:35 PM Maxime Guyot wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> See inline comments.
>
> Cheers,
> Maxime
>
> On 25/11/16 16:01, "ceph-users on behalf of nick"
> <ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of nick@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> >    Hi,
> >    we are currently planning a new ceph cluster which will be used for
> >    virtualization (providing RBD storage for KVM machines) and we have
> >    some
> >    general questions.
> >
> >    * Is it advisable to have one ceph cluster spread over multiple
> >    datacenters
 (latency is low, as they are not so far from each
> >    other)? Is anybody doing this in a production setup? We know that any
> >    network issue would affect virtual machines in all locations instead
> >    just one, but we can see a lot of advantages as well.
>

> I think the general consensus is to limit the size of the failure domain.
> That said, it depends the use case and what you mean by “multiple
> datacenters” and “latency is low”: writes will have to be journal-ACK:ed
> by the OSDs in the other datacenter. If there is 10ms latency between
> Location1 and Location2, then it would add 10ms to each write operation if
> crushmap requires replicas in each location. Speaking of which a 3rd
> location would help with sorting our quorum (1 mon at each location) in
> “triangle” configuration.

> If this is for DR: RBD-mirroring is supposed to address that, you might not
> want to have 1 big cluster ( = failure domain).
 If this is for VM live
> migration: Usually requires spread L2 adjacency (failure domain) or
> overlays (VXLAN and the likes), “network trombone” effect can be a problem
> depending on the setup
> I know of Nantes University who used/is using a 3 datacenter Ceph cluster:
> http://dachary.org/?p=2087

> >    * We are planning to combine the hosts for ceph and KVM (so far we are
> >    using
 seperate hosts for virtual machines and ceph storage). We see
> >    the big advantage (next to the price drop) of an automatic ceph
> >    expansion when adding more compute nodes as we got into situations in
> >    the past where we had too many compute nodes and the ceph cluster was
> >    not expanded properly (performance dropped over time). On the other
> >    side there would be changes to the crush map every time we add a
> >    compute node and that might end in a lot of data movement in ceph. Is
> >    anybody using combined servers for compute and ceph storage and has
> >    some experience?
>

> The challenge is to avoid ceph-osd to become a noisy neighbor for the VMs
> hosted on the hypervisor, especially under recovery. I’ve heard people
> using CPU pinning, containers, and QoS to keep it under control.
 Sebastian
> has an article on his blog this topic:
> https://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2016/07/11/Quick-dive-into-hyperconverged
> -architecture-with-OpenStack-and-Ceph/
> For the performance dropped over time, you can look to improve your
> capacity:performance ratio.

> >    * is there a maximum amount of OSDs in a ceph cluster? We are planning
> >    to use
 a minimum of 8 OSDs per server and going to have a cluster

--
Sebastian Nickel
Nine Internet Solutions AG, Albisriederstr. 243a, CH-8047 Zuerich