osd set noin ignored for old OSD ids

Hi ,
 As part of migration between hardware I have been building new OSDs and cleaning up old ones  (osd rm osd.x, osd crush rm osd.x, auth del osd.x).   To try and prevent rebalancing kicking in until all the new OSDs are created on a host I use "ceph osd set noin", however what I have seen is that if the new OSD that is created uses a new unique ID, then the flag is honoured and the OSD remains out until I bring it in.  However if the OSD re-uses a previous OSD id then it will go straight to in and start backfilling.  I have to manually out the OSD to stop it (or set nobackfill,norebalance).

Am I doing something wrong in this process or is there something about "noin" that is ignored for previously existing OSDs that have been removed from both the OSD map and crush map?

Cheers,
 Adrian

Confidentiality: This email and any attachments are confidential and may be subject to copyright, legal or some other professional privilege. They are intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). They may only be copied, distributed or disclosed with the consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this email by mistake or by breach of the confidentiality clause, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete or destroy all copies of the email. Any confidentiality, privilege or copyright is not waived or lost because this email has been sent to you by mistake.