Re: Kernel 4.7 on OSD nodes

Hi,

We observed the same behavior with kernel 4.7 and Ubuntu 14.04 under heavy load. Kernel 4.2 is stable. We use only S3 gateway.

--
Jarek

--
Jarosław Owsiewski

Hi All,

Just a slight note of caution. I had been running the 4.7 kernel (With Ubuntu 16.04) on the majority of my OSD Nodes, as when I installed the cluster there was that outstanding panic bug with the 4.4 kernel. I have been experiencing a lot of flapping OSD’s every time the cluster was put under heavy load. It mostly seemed to occur when the OSD was asked to delete a large number of objects, as in fstriming RBD’s, deleting snapshots or sometimes when backfilling and the PG is removed from the source OSD.

I noticed that a couple of nodes which were running the 4.4 kernel from Ubuntu, never seemed to flap and so rolled back all other nodes to 4.4 as well. After this I have not seen a single OSD flap so far. Unfortunately, I couldn’t see any reason for the flapping and/or have a reason why 4.4 seems to be more stable than 4.7, but I thought I would share this in case anyone is having similar issues. Also if there is a problem with newer kernels, it may not be something that was introduced with 4.7, but perhaps maybe 4.5 or 4.6.

Nick