From: ceph-users [ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of mj [lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2016 7:06 AM
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: suddenly high memory usage for ceph-mon process

Hi,

Running ceph 0.94.9 on jessie (proxmox), three hosts, 4 OSDs per host,
ssd journal, 10G cluster network. Hosts have 65G ram. The cluster is
generally not very buzy.

Suddenly we were getting HEALTH_WRN today, with two osd's (both on the
same server) being slow. Looking into this, we noticed very high memory
usage on that host: 75% memory for ceph-mon!

(normally here ceph-mon uses around 1% - 2%)

I restarted ceph-mon on that host, and that seems to have brought things
back to normal immediately.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary in /var/log/syslog on that
server, and also generally the cluster is HEALTH_OK. No changes to
configs lately (last many weeks) and last time I applied updates and
rebooted is 30 days ago.

No idea what could have caused this. Any ideas what to check, where to
look? What would typically cause such high memory usage for the ceph-mon
process?

MJ