Re: 10Gbit switch advice for small ceph cluster upgrade

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Erick Perez - Quadrian Enterprises <eperez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Richard Chan <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dell N40xx is cheap if you buy the RJ-45 versions.It will save a lot on optics.
Our  NICs are all RJ-45. We use CAT7 and the switch hasn't given any problems.

We have one with an SFP+ uplink, and used a Dell-branded DAC cable  that has also worked flawlessly.

(Not to be confused with Dell S-series which are is much more expensive.)

You do want to be careful with SFP+: many(all?) vendors create expensive lock-in by requiring their house brand optics: 48 x SFP+ can easily exceed the cost of the switch by several times. The switch port will not come up if you use aftermarket optics.

- Richard

I have two options for my networks.
A budget-wise switch Netgear XS716T,
and a not so budget wise switch HPE 5700 (around 8 thousand if you push your sales rep hard enough)
--

Erick Perez

So sorry, I meant Netgear XS728T. In amazon is listed as
Netgear ProSAFE XS728T 28-Port 10-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Switch (XS728T-100NES)
for 2thousand dollars.