Re: Replica count

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 10:45 PM, David Turner <david.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

1/3 of your raw data on the osds will be deleted and then it move a bunch around. I haven't done it personally, but I would guess somewhere in the range of 50-70% data movement.  It will depend on how many pgs you have, failure domains (hosts by default), etc.

Maybe I'm seriously misremembering how this works, but I would not expect any data movement solely as the result of a pool reducing its size (replica count). Everything will have to re-peer but otherwise it should just remove OSDs from the up/acting sets.
Obviously *increasing* the size means you'll have to re-replicate and that will do all kinds of things, but it still won't be a rebalance — just lots and lots of data being sent across the network to up the replica counts.
-Greg

Sent from my iPhone