Re: Yet another hardware planning question ...

Hello,

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 07:56:55 +0000 Patrik Martinsson wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> Thanks for your very detailed and thorough explanation, very much
> appreciated.

You're welcome.

> We have definitely thought of a design where we have dedicated nvme-
> pools for 'high-performance' as you say.

Having the whole cluster blazingly fast is of course a nice goal, but how
to achieve this without breaking the bank is always the more tricky part.

In my (very specific) use case I was able to go from a totally overloaded
cluster to a very bored one by just adding a small cache-tier, but that
works so well because the clients here are well known and under our
control, they're all the same and are happy if they can scribble away tiny
amounts of data within 5ms, a perfect fit for this.

> At the same time I *thought* that having the journal offloaded to
> another device *always* was the best solution
>  - if you use mainly spinners, have the journals on ssd's
>  - if you mainly use ssd's, have journals on nvme's

Quite so. If you have a large/unlimited budget, go for it.

> But that's not always the case I guess, and thanks for pointing that
> out.

Again, matching things up in terms of speed (network vs journal vs OSD),
endurance and size is both involved and gets costly quickly.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/