Re: cephfs slow delete

On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 1:36 AM, Heller, Chris <cheller@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just a thought, but since a directory tree is a first class item in cephfs, could the wire protocol be extended with an “recursive delete” operation, specifically for cases like this?

In principle yes, but the problem is that the POSIX filesystem
interface doesn't have a recursive delete operation (we just see a
series of individual unlinks), so the complicated part would be making
the client clever enough to notice when a series of unlink operations
appear to be traversing a particular directory, and batching them up
until all files in a directory are unlinked, and then finally sending
a recursive unlink message to the server.

John