RBD with SSD journals and SAS OSDs

Hi list, while I know that writes in the RADOS backend are sync() can
anyone please explain when the cluster will return on a write call for
RBD from VMs? Will data be considered synced one written to the
journal or all the way to the OSD drive?

Each host in my cluster has 5x Intel S3610, and 18x1.8TB Hitachi 10krpm SAS.

I have size=3 for my pool. Will Ceph return once the data is written
to at least 3 designated journals, or will it in fact wait until the
data is written to the OSD drives? thx will