Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 16:04:03 +1100
From: David Burns <dburns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [ceph-users] Hammer OSD memory usage very high

Hello all,

We have a small 160TB Ceph cluster used only as a test s3 storage repository for media content.

Problem
Since upgrading from Firefly to Hammer we are experiencing very high OSD memory use of 2-3 GB per TB of OSD storage - typical OSD memory 6-10GB.
We have had to increase swap space to bring the cluster to a basic functional state. Clearly this will significantly impact system performance and precludes starting all OSDs simultaneously.

Hardware
4 x storage nodes with 16 OSDs/node. OSD nodes are reasonable spec SMC storage servers with dual Xeon CPUs. Storage is 16 x 3TB SAS disks in each node.
Installed RAM is 72GB (2 nodes) & 80GB (2 nodes). (We note that the installed RAM is at least 50% higher than the Ceph recommended 1 GB RAM per TB of storage.)

Software
OSD node OS is CentOS 6.8 (with updates). One node has been updated to CentOS 7.2 - no change in memory usage was observed.

"ceph -v" -> ceph version 0.94.9 (fe6d859066244b97b24f09d46552afc2071e6f90)
(all Ceph packages downloaded from download.ceph.com)

The cluster has achieved status HEALTH_OK so we don?t believe this relates to increased memory due to recovery.

History
Emperor 0.72.2 -> Firefly 0.80.10 -> Hammer 0.94.6 -> Hammer 0.94.7 -> Hammer 0.94.9

OSD per process memory is observed to increase substantially during load_pgs phase.

Use of "ceph tell 'osd.*' heap release? has minimal effect - there is no substantial memory in the heap or cache freelists.

More information can be found in bug #17228 (link http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/17228)

Any feedback or guidance to further understanding the high memory usage would be welcomed.

Thanks

David

--
FetchTV Pty Ltd, Level 5, 61 Lavender Street, Milsons Point, NSW 2061

<http://www.fetchtv.com.au/>

This email is sent by FetchTV Pty Ltd (ABN 36 130 669 500). The contents of
this communication may be
confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright material. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use,
disclosure or copying of this communication is expressed prohibited. If you
have received this email in error,
please notify the sender and delete it immediately.

<http://facebook.com/fetchtv>