Re: 6 Node cluster with 24 SSD per node: Hardwareplanning/ agreement

It may looks like a boys club but I believe that sometimes for the proof-of-concept projects or in the beginning of the commercial project without a lot of invesments it worth to consider used hardware. For example, it's possible to find used Quanta LB6M switches with 24x 10GbE SFP+ ports for $298 (!!!) or Quanta LB8 with 48x 10GbE ports for $798. Yes, it has no warranty (60 days is nothing) but you can take 3 or 4. Put two of these switches in a redundant cluster with non-blocking port configuration and have one or two spare ones and you can save your investments in case of configuration problems or business issues. Of course, I'm totally against of used drives (HDDs or SSDs) even in the PoC projects, they must to be new, but network or server equipment in some border cases - why not? If you can have a bunch of 10x 1U servers with 2x E5-2670v1, 32GB RAM, 10GbE NIC, 1 free PCI-E slot, 4x 3.5" Drive non-hotswap slots, bundled with 1x 10GbE switch and a cabinet for about $3300 total (and I know for sure about such offers) - you can test your project almost for free (in compare with new hardware). Yes, this hardware has to be very carefully stress-tested.

For a big project it's not a good idea to have used hardware (only because of the warranty and unification), for sure, and if you have enough invesment I would recommend to go with new properly configured and scaled equipment. But for the small ones it pretty much depends - if you able to avoid SPoF you can save a lot.

Best regards,
Vladimir

С уважением,
Дробышевский Владимир
Компания "АйТи Город"
+7 343 2222192

Аппаратное и программное обеспечение
IBM, Microsoft, Eset
Поставка проектов "под ключ"
Аутсорсинг ИТ-услуг

Il 11 ott 2016 3:05 AM, "Christian Balzer" <chibi@xxxxxxx> ha scritto:
> 10Gb/s MC-LAG (white box) switches are also widely available and
> affordable.

At which models are you referring to?
I've never found any 10gb switches at less than many thousands euros.

The cheaper ones i've found are the Cisco small business 350x/550x at about 2000 euros reseller price (new) with 24x10gb ports and stackable.

In my case, I'll probably go with these Cisco