Bug 14396 Calamari Dashboard :: can't connect to the cluster??

I am attempting to bring up Calamari using SuSE rpms. I am able to connect to all salt minions, execute ceph.get_heartbeats from all minions on the master, see the whisper DB getting populated from diamond data passed to the master,  and initialize calamari. When I open the Calamari Dashboard GUI it reports that it recognizes the ceph nodes, but it doesn’t recognize the cluster and displays the "use ceph-deploy to create the cluster” comment (we don’t use or install ceph-deploy).

Everything I can find online points to a salt versioning issue specially 2015 and above versions of salt, but SuSE rpms ship with salt 2014.1.10 (Hydrogen). I see an open bug in Ceph Calamari tracker that appears to be the same issue:

Has anyone been able to work around this issue with Calamari Dashboard? It appears to be a, somewhat, common problem so any pointers or workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce