Re: Stat speed for objects in ceph

On 20 September 2016 at 19:27, Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In librados getting a stat is basically equivalent to reading a small
> object; there's not an index or anything so FileStore needs to descend its
> folder hierarchy. If looking at metadata for all the objects in the system
> efficiently is important you'll want to layer an index in somewhere.
> -Greg

Yeah, that's not particularly good to hear.  Is this slowness also
inherent in list_nobjects too?  It looks like I can iterate all
objects at a rate no faster than 25K per second.  No chance at
speeding this up either by having two or more instances starting at
different pg offsets.

For this particular operation, it's only looking for orphaned objects.
This wouldn't be needed if a mechanism for TTLs existed and set on all
objects.  But that would mean finding out how RGW gets away with it,
and I assume with another very large index and actively keeping track
of all set destruction times.

--
Iain Buclaw