Re: How to associate a cephfs client id to its process

Ok. I’ll see about tracking down the logs (set to stderr for these tasks), and the metadata stuff looks interesting for future association.

Thanks,
Chris

On 9/14/16, 5:04 PM, "Gregory Farnum" <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 7:02 AM, Heller, Chris <cheller@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > I am making use of CephFS plus the cephfs-hadoop shim to replace HDFS in a
    > system I’ve been experimenting with.
    >

    > I’ve noticed that a large number of my HDFS clients have a ‘num_caps’ value
    > of 16385, as seen when running ‘session ls’ on the active mds. This appears
    > to be one larger than the default value for ‘client_cache_size’ so I presume
    > some relation, though I have not seen any documentation to corroborate this.
    >

    > What I was hoping to do is track down which ceph client is actually holding
    > all these ‘caps’, but since my system can have work scheduled dynamically
    > and multiple clients can be running on the same host, its not obvious how to
    > associate the client ‘id’ as reported by ‘session ls’ with any one process
    > on the give host.
    >

    > Is there steps I can follow to back track the client ‘id’ to a process id?

    Hmm, it looks like we no longer directly associate the process ID with
    the client session. There is a "client metadata" config option you can
    fill in with arbitrary "key=value[,key2=value2]* strings if you can
    persuade Hadoop to set that to something useful on each individual
    process. If you have logging or admin sockets enabled then you should
    also be able to find them named by client ID and trace those back to
    the pid with standard linux tooling.

    I've created a ticket to put this back in as part of the standard
    metadata: http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/17276
    -Greg