Re: non-effective new deep scrub interval

Hello,

On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 17:09:27 +0200 (CEST) David DELON wrote:

> First, thanks for your answer Christian.

C'est rien.

> ----- Le 8 Sep 16, à 13:30, Christian Balzer chibi@xxxxxxx a écrit :
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 09:48:46 +0200 (CEST) David DELON wrote:
> >

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> i'm using ceph jewel.
> >> I would like to schedule the deep scrub operations on my own.
> >
> > Welcome to the club, alas the ride isn't for the faint of heart.
> >
> > You will want to (re-)search the ML archive (google) and in particular the
> > recent "Spreading deep-scrubbing load" thread.
>
> It is not exactly what i would like to do. That's why i have posted.
> I wanted to trigger on my own the deep scrubbing on sundays with a cron script...

If you look at that thread (and others) that's what I do, too.
And ideally, not even needing a cron script after the first time,
provided your scrubs can fit into the time frame permitted.

> >> First of all, i have tried to change the interval value for 30 days:
> >> In each /etc/ceph/ceph.conf, i have added:
> >>
> >> [osd]
> >> #30*24*3600
> >> osd deep scrub interval = 2592000
> >> I have restarted all the OSD daemons.
> >
> > This could have been avoided by an "inject" for all OSDs.
> > Restarting (busy) OSDs isn't particular nice for a cluster.
>
> I have first done the inject of the new value. But as it did not the trick after some hours and the "injectargs" command have returned
> "(unchangeable)"
> i have thought OSD restarts were needed...

I keep forgetting about that, annoying.

> >> The new value has been taken into account as for each OSD:
> >>
> >> ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-osd.X.asok config show | grep
> >> deep_scrub_interval
> >> "osd_deep_scrub_interval": "2.592e+06",
> >>

> >> I have checked the last_deep_scrub value for each pg with
> >> ceph pg dump
> >> And each pg has been deep scrubbed during the last 7 days (which is the default
> >> behavior).
> >>
> > See the above thread.
> >
> >> Since i have made the changes 2 days ago, it keeps on deep scrubbing.
> >> Do i miss something?
> >>
> > At least 2 things, maybe more.
> >
> > Unless you changed the "osd_scrub_max_interval" as well, that will enforce
> > things, by default after a week.
>
> Increasing osd_scrub_max_interval and osd_scrub_min_interval does not solve.

osd_scrub_min_interval has no impact on deep scrubs,
osd_scrub_max_interval interestingly and unexpectedly does.

Meaning it's the next one:

> > And with Jewel you get that well meaning, but turned on by default and
> > ill-documented "osd_scrub_interval_randomize_ratio", which will spread
> > things out happily and not when you want them.

If you set osd_scrub_interval_randomize_ratio to 0, scrubs should be
become fixed interval and deterministic again.

Christian