Antw: Re: rbd cache mode with qemu

>>> Loris Cuoghi <lc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am Dienstag, 30. August
2016 um
16:34:
> Hello,

Hi Loris,

thank you for your answer.

> Le 30/08/2016 à 14:08, Steffen Weißgerber a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> after correcting the configuration for different qemu vm's with rbd
disks
>> (we removed the cache=writethrough option to have the default
>> writeback mode) we have a strange behaviour after restarting the
vm's.

>> For most of them the cache mode is now writeback as expected. But
some
>> neverthless use the disks in writethrough mode (at least an 'info
block'
>> reports that on the qemu monitor). This does also not change when
>> configuring cache=writeback explicitly.
>>
>> On our 6 node KVM Cluster we have the same behaviour for the
problematic
>> vm's on all hosts which are configured equally with qemu 2.5.1, ceph
0.94.7
>> and kernel 4.4.6.
>>
>> The ceph cluster has version 0.94.6.
>>
>> For me it seems to be a problem specific to the rbd's. Is there a
way to
>> check the cache behaviour of a single rbd?
>
> To my knowledge, there is not such a thing as an RBD's cache mode.
>
> The librbd cache exists in the client's memory, not on the Ceph
> cluster's hosts. Its configuration is to be put in the ceph
> configuration file, on each client host.

Yes, that's what I think also but my guess was that the client cache
behaviour
is somehow controlled by the communication between librbd on the client
and
the ceph cluster.

> Setting QEMU's disk cache mode to "writeback" informs the guest's OS

> that it needs to explicitly flush dirty data to persistent storage
when
> needed.

Meanwhile I tried to update the viostor driver within the vm (a W2k8)
but that
results in a bluescreen.

When booting via recovery console and loading the new driver from an
actual
qemu driver iso the disks are all in writeback mode.
So maybe the cache mode depends on the iodriver within the machine.

I'll see how to upgrade the driver without having a bluescreen
afterwards
(by having another reason to avoid that windows crap).

>> Regards
>>
>> Steffen

Regards

Klinik-Service Neubrandenburg GmbH