Re: debugging librbd to a VM

(moving this to the ceph-users mailing list)

Can you verify that cephx user that you are using for QEMU has access
to the image on the hypervisor host. You should be able to run "rbd
--id <cephx user id> export <image-spec> - | md5sum" to compare
freshly cloned images between clusters and ensure that they match. As
for logging, as long as you added those statements to the "[client]"
section of the ceph config file on the hypervisor host and the QEMU
user has access to that directory (both standard POSIX permissions and
SElinux/AppArmor), it should just work.

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Deneau, Tom <tom.deneau@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have two small clusters configured with the same version of Ceph and the same OS version.
> (different processor hardware)
>
> On these clusters I have bootable RBD images that I expect a VM to boot from.
> On one cluster, the VM does not boot from the image.  On the other cluster, it boots fine.
> On the failing cluster, a VM can boot fine from the base qcow2 image from which the rbd image was created.  It's only rbd images that are causing problems for the VM.
>
> I would like to enable some debug logging that could tell where the two clusters are diverging.
>
> I tried adding
>         debug rbd = 20
>         log file = /tmp/cbt/ceph/log/$name.log
>
> I do see some rbd debug messages to stderr during operations like rbd clone, etc. but I don't see any log files created in /tmp/cbt/ceph or /var/log/ceph or any messages when librbd is being used by say qemu-img convert, or by qemu-kvm.
>
> Is there a way to see detailed debug messages for librbd?
>
> Or is there a better way to see where things are diverging between these two clusters?
> (note: I tried lttng but could not get it to record anything)
>
> -- Tom
> --

Jason