Re: CephFS + cache tiering in Jewel

Hi,

On 08/24/2016 10:22 PM, Gregory Farnum wrote:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 7:50 AM, Burkhard Linke
<Burkhard.Linke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

the Firefly and Hammer releases did not support transparent usage of cache
tiering in CephFS. The cache tier itself had to be specified as data pool,
thus preventing on-the-fly addition and removal of cache tiers.

Does the same restriction also apply to Jewel? I would like to add a cache
tier to an existing data pool.
This got cleaned up a lot but is still a bit weird since you *can't*
use a bare EC pool on Ceph. I think right now you'll find that you can
add an EC pool to the CephFS data pools if it has a cache pool, but
doing so will prevent removing the cache pool.
EC pools have been a problem in Firefly and Hammer, too. We removed them from our CephFS setup in the wake of the cache tiering error in Hammer.

Does cache tiering work as expected with replicated pools? We use kernel based CephFS clients running kernel 4.6.6 on almost all machines.

Regards,
Burkhard