Re: Should hot pools for cache-tiering be replicated ?

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 15:45:52 +0200 Florent B wrote:

> On 08/22/2016 02:48 PM, Christian Balzer wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 14:33:51 +0200 Florent B wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm looking for informations about cache-tiering.
> >>
> > Have you searched the ML archives, including my
> > "Cache tier operation clarifications" thread?
>
> I will read it thank you :)
>

> >> As I understand documentation, data written to hot storage is
> >> immediately written to cold storage, so size=1 for hot storage should be
> >> fine.
> >>
> > Where do you get that idea from?
> > Please cite the source.
> > If this were the case, where would be the speed advantage over your
> > default pool?
>
> "immediately" is not the good word, but documentation says : "Ceph
> clients write data to the cache tier and receive an ACK from the cache
> tier. In time, the data written to the cache tier migrates to the
> storage tier and gets flushed from the cache tier."
> "In time" denotes "quickly", isn't it ?

Re-read that whole documentation again.
In time may mean never, if the object stays hot and in the cache tier
forever.

You could configure things to FORCE all cache objects to be flushed out
immediately or after a certain time, but that would be wasteful in the
first case (same speed as the base pool) and pointless in the second one
(the object may change immediately after it has been flushed and the base
pool object copy would be worthless).

And even if there would be just a short (lets say 5 seconds) delay between
writes to the cache pool and flushes to the base pool, would you be
comfortable with loosing all that data?

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/