Re: rbd image features supported by which kernel version?

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 4:06 AM, Chengwei Yang
<chengwei.yang.cn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 03:27:50PM +0200, Ilya Dryomov wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Chengwei Yang
>> <chengwei.yang.cn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi List,
>> >
>> > I read from ceph document[1] that there are several rbd image features
>> >
>> >   - layering: layering support
>> >   - striping: striping v2 support
>> >   - exclusive-lock: exclusive locking support
>> >   - object-map: object map support (requires exclusive-lock)
>> >   - fast-diff: fast diff calculations (requires object-map)
>> >   - deep-flatten: snapshot flatten support
>> >   - journaling: journaled IO support (requires exclusive-lock)
>> >
>> > But I didn't found any document/blog/google tells these features supported since
>> > which kernel version.
>>
>> No released kernel currently supports these features.  exclusive-lock
>> is staged for 4.9, we are working on staging object-map and fast-diff.
>
> Thanks Ilya
>
> Since object-map, fast-diff, journaling are depend on exclusive-lock, so I
> expect them will be available after exclusive-lock.
>
> And I verified that layering is supported fine by centos kernel 3.10.0-327 while
> neither striping nor deep-flatten is supported, do you know which valina kernel
> version start to supported rbd striping and deep-flatten?

Right, I should have been more specific - layering has been supported
for a long time (3.10+), so I crossed it off.

None of the features except layering are currenty supported by the
kernel client.  It will let you map an image with the striping feature
enabled, but only if stripe_unit == object_size and stripe_count == 1
(the default striping pattern).

exclusive-lock, object-map and fast-diff are being worked on.
striping, deep-flatten and journaling are farther away.

Thanks,

                Ilya