Re: Red Hat Ceph Storage

From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of ????????? ????????
Sent: 15 August 2016 13:19
To: ceph-users <ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ceph-users] Red Hat Ceph Storage

Hello, dear community.
There were a few questions as we learn Ceph.

-How Do you think, whether to buy Red Hat Ceph Storage is necessary if we do not plan to use the technical support. How Red Hat Ceph Storage is needed for beginners? Does it have any hidden optimization settings.
https://www.redhat.com/en/technologies/storage/ceph

I guess the main issue is if it all goes wrong, to quote from Ghostbusters, “Who you gonna call?”

You need to carefully decide if you have in the in house resource to troubleshoot any problems and what effect they may have on your ability for your business to operate. If the cluster will be essential to your business, then I would strongly consider the full blown Redhat product.

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/hammer/rados/operations/erasure-code/?highlight=erasure%20code
-Safety I use "erasure code" for storing large amounts of data? Or it is necessary to insist on the replication? The authorities against the use of triple replication. Does it somebody and what k and m?

What’s this for? Object storage or block (RBD)? The former is fine, the latter is not ready yet. Think of k and m as like data and parity disks in Raid6.

--
Александр Пивушков