Re: Fast Ceph a Cluster with PB storage

Christian,

  I have to say that OpenNebula 5 doesn't need any additional hacks (ok, just two lines of code to support rescheduling in case of the original node failure and even these patch scheduled to 5.2 to be added after my question a couple of weeks ago; but it isn't about 'live') or an additional shared fs to support live migration with ceph. It works like a charm. I have an installation I just finished with OpenNebula 5.0.1 + ceph with dual root (HDD + ssd journal and pure SSD), so it's a first-hand information.

  In ONE 5 it's possible to use ceph as a system datastore, so it eliminates any problems with live migration. For file-based datastore (which is recommended to use for custom kernels and configs) it's possible to use CephFS (but it doesn't belong to ONE, of course).

  P.S. If somebody needs to reschedule (restore) VM from a host in the ERROR state then here is the patch for the ceph driver: https://github.com/OpenNebula/one/pull/106
This patch doesn't need to rebuild the ONE from source, it could be applied to a working system (since ONE drivers are mostly a set of shell scripts).

Best regards,
Vladimir

С уважением,
Дробышевский Владимир
Компания "АйТи Город"
+7 343 2222192

Аппаратное и программное обеспечение
IBM, Microsoft, Eset
Поставка проектов "под ключ"
Аутсорсинг ИТ-услуг

Hello,

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 14:15:59 -0400 Jeff Bailey wrote:

> On 8/9/2016 10:43 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> >
> >> Op 9 augustus 2016 om 16:36 schreef Александр Пивушков <pivu@xxxxxxx>:
> >>

> >>  > >> Hello dear community!

> >> oh, that's too bad ...
> >> I do not understand something...
> >>
> >> oVirt built on kvm
> >> https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/introduction/about-ovirt/
> >>
> >> Ceph, such as support kvm
> >> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/architecture/
> >>

> > KVM is just the hypervisor. oVirt is a tool which controls KVM and it doesn't have support for Ceph. That means that it can't pass down the proper arguments to KVM to talk to RBD.
> >
> >> What could be the overhead costs and how big they are?
> >>

> >> I do not understand why oVirt bad, and the qemu in the Openstack, it's good.
> >> What can be read?
> >>

> > Like I said above. oVirt and OpenStack both control KVM. OpenStack also knows how to  'configure' KVM to use RBD, oVirt doesn't.
> >
> > Maybe Proxmox is a better solution in your case.
> >

> oVirt can use ceph through cinder.  It doesn't currently provide all the
> functionality of
> other oVirt storage domains but it does work.

Well, I saw this before I gave my answer:
http://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/storage/cinder-integration/

And based on that I would say oVirt is not a good fit for Ceph at this
time.

Even less so than OpenNebula, which currently needs an additional shared
network FS or hacks to allow live migration with RBD.

Christian

> > Wido
> >

> >> --

Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer
chibi@xxxxxxx           Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/