Re: Giant to Jewel poor read performance with Rados bench

I created a new pool that only contains OSDs on a single node. The Rados bench gives me the speed I'd expect (1GB/s...all coming out of cache)

I then created a pool that contains OSDs from 2 nodes. Now the strange part is, if I run the Rados bench from either of those nodes, I get the speed I'd expect: 2GB/s (1GB local and 1GB coming over from the other node). If I run the same bench from a 3rd node, I only get about 200MB/s. During that bench, I monitor the interfaces on the 2 OSD nodes and they are not going any faster than 1Gb/s. It's almost as if the speed has negotiated down to 1Gb. If I run iperf tests between the 3 nodes I'm getting the full 10Gb speed.

'rados -p 2node bench 60 rand --no-cleanup' from one of the nodes in the 2 node pool:

Total time run:       60.036413
Total reads made:     33496
Read size:            4194304
Object size:          4194304
Bandwidth (MB/sec):   2231.71
Average IOPS:         557
Stddev IOPS:          10
Max IOPS:             584
Min IOPS:             535
Average Latency(s):   0.0275722
Max latency(s):       0.164382
Min latency(s):       0.00480053

'rados -p 2node bench 60 rand --no-cleanup' from a node not in the 3 node pool:

Total time run:       60.383206
Total reads made:     2715
Read size:            4194304
Object size:          4194304
Bandwidth (MB/sec):   179.851
Average IOPS:         44
Stddev IOPS:          10
Max IOPS:             77
Min IOPS:             28
Average Latency(s):   0.355126
Max latency(s):       2.17366
Min latency(s):       0.00641849

I appreciate this may not be a Ceph config issue but any tips on tracking down this issue would be much appreciated.