Re: rbd-mirror questions

> Op 4 augustus 2016 om 18:17 schreef Shain Miley <smiley@xxxxxxx>:
>

> Hello,
>
> I am thinking about setting up a second Ceph cluster in the near future,
> and I was wondering about the current status of rbd-mirror.

I don't have all the answers, but I will give it a try.

> 1)is it production ready at this point?

Yes, but rbd-mirror is a single process at the moment. So mirroring a very large number of images might become a bottleneck at some point. I don't know where that point it.

> 2)can it be used when you have a cluster with existing data in order to
> replicate onto a new cluster?

iirc, images need the fast-diff feature enable to be able to support mirroring, more on that in the docs: http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/rbd-mirroring/

The problem is, if you have old RBD images, maybe even format 1, you will not be able to mirror those.

Some rbd format 2 images neither, since they don't have the journal and don't have the fast-diff.

So per image it will depend if the mirroring is able to run.

> 3)we have some rather large rbd images at this point..several in the
> 90TB range...would there be any concern using rbd-mirror given the size
> of our images?

The initial sync might be slow and block the single rbd-mirror process. Afterwards, if fast-diff is enabled it shouldn't be a real problem.

Wido