Re: Small Ceph cluster

Hello,

On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 11:09:00 +0200 Tom T wrote:

> Hi Ceph users
>
> We are planning to setup a small ceph cluster, starting with 3 nodes for
> VM's.
> I have some question about CPU and caching
>
> We would like to start with the following config:
>

> Supermicro X11SSI-LN4F
In which case?

> Intel E3-1246 v3 3.5Ghz
A bit dated, but fast enough.

> 32GB RAM
While enough for 4 OSDs, don't skimp on RAM if you can afford, reads will
thank you for it.

> S3500 80GB M.2 for OS
If you're short on money, maybe use a 535 (or 2!) for that purpose.

> AOC-S3008L-L8e (LSI SAS3008)
> 4x 2TB ST2000NM0034 SAS12Gb

I fail to see the need/point for 7.2k RPM HDDs with a mere 128MB of cache
hanging of a 12Gb/s bus, but maybe that's just me.

> 1x Intel 200GB S3710 for journal (via onboard SATA)
Good enough.

> 4x 1Gb for networking

Unless all your clients also are limited to GbE and you have no budget to
change that, don't.

For VM's latency will be one of your biggest nemesis (nemesii?), use
faster (lower latency) networking.

> Questions:
> Is the CPU enough ?
See above.

> I would like to run the monitoring deamon on the same host, would this be a
> problem ?

Just within the normal usage needs, more RAM in that case anyway.

> Optionally i would like to add an extra SSD for caching
Not really recommended with that server and not particular helpful with
that network.
A single SSD of any caliber will/can eat one of your CPU cores by itself
and then ask for seconds.

> Does write-back caching also optimize the reads ?
Yes, subject to "correct" configuration of course.

> Do I need two SSD's per node
>
>From a performance point of view, not so much.
Your network can't even saturate one 200GB DC S3710.

>From a redundancy point of view you might be better off with more nodes.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/