Re: Searchable metadata and objects in Ceph

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Andrey Ptashnik <APtashnik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello team,
>
> We are looking for ways to store metadata with objects and make this metadata searchable.
> For example if we store an image of the car in Ceph we would like to be able to attach metadata like model, make, year, damaged parts list, owner information. So later on we can run a report against specific metadata and retrieve car images that are more or less inline with search query.
> Is there a way to implement something like this in Ceph?

Nothing like this exists right now and there isn't really
infrastructure to let you do so as a user — you'd need to build up and
maintain your own searchable index.

We've discussed (in a blue-sky sense) this and similar problems and
have ideas for adding it in via PG classes and metadata that's
organized by PG instead of object. A sufficiently-motivated developer
could work on design and implementation, but it's a serious project
that would take some time and intimate knowledge of the Ceph
internals.
-Greg