Re: Ceph performance calculator

how did you deploy ceph jewel on debian7?

Several years ago Mark Kampe proposed doing something like this.  I was never totally convinced we could make something accurate enough quickly enough for it to be useful.

If I were to attempt it, I would probably start out with a multiple regression approach based on seemingly important configuration parameters and results.  I suspect with enough tweaking and an admittedly large sample set (LOTS of ceph-brag runs) a model could be built that would be moderately instructive for spinning disks.  So long as a reasonable per-OSD CPU/Memory ratio is maintained, spinning disk performance is low enough and mostly static enough that minor code change and new drive models probably won't ruin the model.

For SSD/NVMe there are just too many factors that can have a huge impact on latency and performance.  Look at the tcmalloc/jemalloc threadcache results from last year and how huge of a performance impact that alone can have for example.  You might think: "ok, that's one parameter that has a huge impact on performance (specifically small random write performance), the model should be able to take that into account pretty easily".  The problem is that it's CPU dependent.  Setups with few OSDs and lots of CPU might not show any obvious performance advantage with higher TCMalloc thread cache settings (but way lower CPU usage!) while CPU limited setups might show huge performance advantages if they have fast enough disks to make use of it.  Not all versions of tcmalloc will show the advantage.  Older ones are buggy and don't improve performance at all when you increase the threadcache.  It also appears to be primarily impactful with simplemessenger.  When asyncmesseneger is used, TCMalloc threadcache has almost no impact, but there are other bottlenecks that impact asyncmessenger that don't impact simplemessenger.  Think of how many samples you'd need to even semi-accurately predict the impact of tcmalloc threadcache.  Now try to do that when CPUs, SSDs, Network, Kernels, Ceph configurations, SSDs with poor O_DSYNC performance, etc are all in play.  By the time you collected enough samples to say anything meaningful, the Ceph code and the available hardware will have changed so much that your old samples will be useless.

I think a better approach than trying to model all of this is to simply spend our resources optimizing away as many of the variables as possible.  That's part of the idea behind bluestore.  The more of the stack we can remove and/or control, the more variables we can outright eliminate and hopefully the model becomes simpler and more straightforward.  Even at that, things like RocksDB compaction and read/write amp still have a huge effect.  This is why there have been so many discussions lately on ceph-devel around rocksdb settings, bluestore onode size reduction, encode/decode changes, etc.

Mark