Re: cephfs - mds hardware recommendation for 40 million files and 500 users

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Mike Miller <millermike287@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have started to migrate user homes to cephfs with the mds server 32GB
> RAM. With multiple rsync threads copying this seems to be undersized; the
> mds process consumes all memory 32GB fitting about 4 million caps.
>
> Any hardware recommendation for about 40 million files and about 500 users?

rsync is just about the pessimal CephFS workload as things stand right
now. (Just FYI, this is probably the worst case you'll ever see.) The
MDS is basically single-threaded so far and you're pretty certain to
be CPU-bound.

Anyway, if the only problem you're seeing is that it's using all your
memory...congrats, you sized it well. Otherwise, the size of your
active set is much more important than the total number of files in
the cluster and you should work that out.
-Greg