Re: rbd export-dif question

Nothing immediately pops out at me as incorrect when looking at your
scripts. What do you mean when you say the diff is "always a certain
size"? Any chance that these images are clones? If it's the first
write to the backing object from the clone, librbd will need to copy
the full object from the parent up into the clone (e.g. a 512 byte
write could be a 4MB write on the backend).

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Norman Uittenbogaart
<normanu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made a backup script to backup RBD images in the pool by snapshots and
> exporting the
> first snapshot and afterwards only the diffs.
>
> I notices however that creating a diff from one image to the next is always
> a certain size.
> And its much bigger then only the changes from one snapshot to the next.
>
> I have shared the script here, https://github.com/normanu/rbd_backup
>
> So you can see what I am doing.
> But I wonder if I am doing something wrong or if there is always a overhead
> in backing up diffs.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Norman

Jason