Re: change of dns names and IP addresses of cluster members

On 16-07-22 13:33, Andrei Mikhailovsky wrote:
Hello

We are planning to make changes to our IT infrastructure and as a result the fqdn and IPs of the ceph cluster will change. Could someone suggest the best way of dealing with this to make sure we have a minimal ceph downtime?

Can old and new network reach each other? If yes, then you can do it without cluster downtime. You can change OSDs IP on server by server basis - stop OSDs, rename host, change IP, start OSDs. They should connect to cluster with new IP. Rinse and repeat for all.

As for mons you'll need to remove mon out of the cluster, then readd with new name and IP, redistribute configs with new mons. Rinse and repeat.

Depending on your use case it is possible that you may have client downtime as sometimes it is not possible to change client's config without a restart (e.g. qemu machine config)

Many thanks

Andrei