Re: CephFS write performance

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Fabiano de O. Lucchese
<flucchese@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I configured the cluster to replicate data twice (3 copies), so these
> numbers fall within my expectations. So far so good, but here's comes the
> issue: I configured CephFS and mounted a share locally on one of my servers.
> When I write data to it, it shows abnormally high performance at the
> beginning for about 5 seconds, stalls for about 20 seconds and then picks up
> again. For long running tests, the observed write throughput is very close
> to what the rados bench provided (about 640 MB/s), but for short-lived
> tests, I get peak performances of over 5GB/s. I know that journaling is
> expected to cause spiky performance patters like that, but not to this
> level, which makes me think that CephFS is buffering my writes and returning
> the control back to client before persisting them to the jounal, which looks
> undesirable.

The client is buffering the writes to RADOS which would give you the
abnormally high initial performance until the cache needs flushed. You
might try tweaking certain osd settings:

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/hammer/rados/configuration/osd-config-ref/

in particular: "osd client message size cap". Also:

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/hammer/rados/configuration/journal-ref/

--
Patrick Donnelly