Re: OSD dropped out, now trying to get them back on to the cluster

The first question I have is to understand why some disks/OSDs showed status of ‘DOWN’ – there was no activity on the cluster.  Last night all the OSDs were up.  What can cause OSDs to go down?

- epk

From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of EP Komarla
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2016 6:43 PM
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: OSD dropped out, now trying to get them back on to the cluster

Hi,

I have created a cluster with the below configuration:

- 6 Storage nodes, each with 20 disks

- I have total of 120 OSDs

Cluster was working fine.  All of a sudden today morning I noticed some OSD’s (7 to be exact) were down on one server.

I rebooted the server, 4 OSDs came back.  Three OSDs were stuck on ‘down’ state.

I tried to bring them online, wasn’t successful.

I removed the OSDs using:

Ceph osd rm osd.0

Ceph osd crush remove osd.0

I ran the same command for all the 3 osd’s that were done.  Now I am left with 17 OSDs.

I am trying to bring them back online.

I used the commands:

Ceph-deploy osd create ep-storage-2-14:sda:sdu

Ceph-deploy osd create ep-storage-2-14:sda:sdu

Where sda is the OSD partition and sdu is the journal partition

I am getting this below error:

I am not following what this error means.  Can someone help me on how to bring these OSDs back?  I know I am making some mistake, but can’t figure out.

Thanks in advance,

- epk

EP KOMARLA,

Flex_RGB_Sml_tm

Emal: EP.KOMARLA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Address: 677 Gibraltor Ct, Building #2, Milpitas, CA 94035, USA

Phone: 408-674-6090 (mobile)

Legal Disclaimer:
The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential. It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed or by their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are on notice that any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message!